My Website

Items can be purchased from the website www.thepeartreeboutique.com
Bespoke orders welcome

Thursday 26 April 2012

Boys can sew too!

I have 3 boys and have always tried to teach them skills that they might find useful, and not necessarily bound by gender stereotypes. 
They are all developing into independent young people with a broad skill base and I hope, an understanding that men and women are both equal in all aspects of life. 


My youngest two boys have just turned 3 and have seen me sewing and creating for the whole of their lives. 
I haven't wanted to push them to try their hand at a creative art, but when they do show an interest I love to share with them.  


This is my son Zakk with a felt hand puppet that he made by sewing with wool, around the edge of a felt shape that had been pre-punched with holes for the stitches. 



He was so pleased with his handiwork and took it into pre-school to show the other children what he had made. 

His twin brother Maxx wasn't interested in sewing a hand puppet until Easter, when Grandma gave them some Easter themed hand puppet kits. These kits sparked his interest and he had a go too. 


I love that they feel so proud of what they have made! 


No comments:

Post a Comment